Monday, November 06, 2006

A Rednecking Good Time!!

Hey y'all,

I realise it has been almost a month since I posted something....sorry! So here's a quick catch-up.......

I thought I should write a follow up for the whole Halloween thing....and my experience of Trick or Treating.

Let's see......I sat here at home at the supposed T or T time.... and nothing! On the radio they had said it would go from 5-8pm, but no. Nothing happened until 6:30-7. And when it finally started it was a rush. There seemed to be a flood of kids of all ages, some I have never seen before.

Apparently some parents walk around with their kids, and others drive at a discreet distance so they can take them between neighbourhoods. So they would come up and our drive and I have to admit I got very overexcited! Some of the little kids were so cute! I especially loved two little black boys who had had their hair coloured to match their costumes. The 3 year old was a turtle with green hair (and he was very proud of his outfit), and his little 1.5 year old brother was a skeleton and he wanted to "talk" to us in a very serious tone. I loved them! hehehe

I did find out very quickly that the children here feel very strongly about trick or treating. I mentioned to a couple of teenagers that they seemed old to be doing it and they informed me that they will keep going until they are about 16. Nice. I told one (large) boy that he looked too old, that he looked 20 and he very nicely told me "well you look like you are 30".....hahahha....I forgot about the days when 30 was sooooo old. I had a 3 year old girl give me a look that spoke volumes...she looked from me, to her bag, to me, back to her bag....which told me I was not giving her either the quantity or quality of candy that she wanted. Nice! Her mum had to pull her away from the doorway.

I got a real kick out of the costumes, I did end up dressed as an American in jeans and a tshirt, but noone noticed. Glen was a cow, and you don't want to know about Chris! hehehe. One kid came to the door dressed in all black and I asked what he was, Harry Potter. When I asked about the missing scar he didn't have an answer. Nowadays there are less homemade costumes and more store bought, but I loved the effort on one little girl. She was wearing a robe, curlers and slippers. I laughed and asked her what she was. She didn't know, so I asked if she was a mother?? hehehe....classic!

I was a bit heavy handed in the giving of candy and we ran out quite quickly. Oh well....we just turned off the porch lights and they stopped walking up the driveway. I will definitely do it again, very enjoyable!

I was shocked an horrified to find that the new time for Xmas music and decorations is the day after Halloween....November 1st!! Crazy. One radio station here has carols all the time, it's over the top.

Our friend's girlfriend recently turned 21, and we were invited to her party. She is a local girl, who lives a few stops down on the interstate and obviously was born and raised in Georgia. I should have been prepared, but when we arrived I was in for a shock! Over half the people there (not just males) were wearing camo....jackets, hats, you name it. And for a while I was just soaking it all in, not taking pictures in case I got my "ass whooped"...hehehe! One young guy there from a more Nothern state in the US was sitting by the fire very quietly, and when we arrived he was so relieved. He said that he had overheard some of the rednecks discussing Yankees and what they thought of them and he thought it would be better if he didn't interact with them....poor guy!

As we were getting ready to leave (after a good 25 minutes!), there was a conversation going on in the kitchen that seemed to be escalating. It seemed that the brother of the birthday girl found out there was a gay guy at the party and he wanted to beat him up. Just because he was gay, they were getting on fine before this was discovered. We found out later he was talked out of it. Thank goodness.

So yeah, that was early Novemeber....more to come....

No comments: