Halloween.....good times!!
I would just like to point out that this is my first ever Halloween in the US of A....and can I say that the events leading up to it have been most entertaining....
I realised a few weeks ago that there will be trick or treating when people started decorating their houses. But mostly it was our neighbours who have a 6 foot blowup thing that is 3 ghosts popping out of a very large pumpkin. I laugh every time I see it, poor Charlie is a bit scared of it though and whenever we walk past it he barks and hides behind me. hehehe, chicken!
Around the corner the local cop has a group of ghosts playing "ring of roses" around a tree in his yard, people have witches and skeletons and gravestones popping up out of their lawns. It's quite a sight. Yesterday I saw the whole front of someone's house covered with fake cobwebs.
I know this is not a huge shock for any Americans reading this, but for me and my fellow kiwis this is a big deal. We don't do this. I have never trick or treated and it's something out of the movies. I find it all very fascinating.
A week or two ago I asked Chris if I could give all the kids coming around little bags of carrot sticks. He told me I could, but we would have to expect the house to be egged or toilet papered!! Hilarious, I didn't actually think that happened. We have since been to the supermarket where they sell ridiculous amounts of oversize bags of candy....and we have a pot full ready for the weekend.
Now, am I supposed to dress up for this?? On TV the adults always seem to be dressed up while they coo over the little kids and ask them what they are....again, I never know what is real or just on TV...
I thought about a costume this year as there was supposed to be a halloween party at a friends (cancelled)...and the best idea I could come up with would be to dress up as "An American". Wear all the US flag sweaters , shorts and socks. Possibly wave a couple of little flags. Make sure my sneakers were extra white and bright. Talk overly loud, make my hair bigger with hair spray, and possibly even have a gun or a moose head to tote around....I thought it was all hilarious, and easily obtained from a local goodwill store. Others did not agree with my idea......bahahahaaaaa!!
I even thought that while dressed in my costume I could pose for my Xmas card to send to everyone...gun on the wall and moose head above me, looking serene...I think my family would have died laughing....or been absolutely horrified...either way...it's too much and makes me laugh out loud thinking of it all.
And now this all makes me wonder...if this is Halloween, what is Xmas going to be like?? Oh no....!! watch this space.........

No comments:
Post a Comment